Wednesday, February 17, 2010

02/16/2010 - Red Velvet Cake

















Modifications: I used 1 cup of sugar, rather than 1 1/2 cups in the cake and I opted for a simpler frosting (1 pkg cream cheese + 1/4 cup butter + 2 tsp vanilla extract + 2 cup powdered sugar) ... and I'm not sure if it matters or not, but I used malt vinegar instead of distilled white vinegar (I'm pretty sure it had no effect on the taste and the chemical reaction worked just fine)


The Verdict:

Day 1: DELICIOUS!!! Moist and spongey cake with soft and fluffly frosting.

Day 2: Still pretty damn good - slightly drier cake with hardened frosting. But I was surprised at how quickly the texture of the cake changed. I had a little bit in the morning and the texture was still good, just firmer. However, 8 hours later it felt considerably drier but not actually dry.

Day 3: ... I'll find out soon enough ^^

Generally speaking: This was my first time baking a cake, so I'm quite happy with the result. I've only gotten positive feedback from it. However, I think I would try a different frosting next time... one that is more light. The cream cheese frosting is VERY tasty but quite cream cheese tasting (as should be expected, I guess ^^)

No comments:

Post a Comment