Sunday, February 7, 2010

02/07/2010 - egg tarts

I found a really simple recipe online. It called for 25 tart shells, 5 eggs, 1 cup sugar and 1 1/4 cup water. All you needed to do was dissolve the sugar in the water, beat in the eggs and divide evenly into the shells. Then bake for 20 minutes at 400°F

Instead of tart shells, I decided to use puff pastry since I already had a pack thawed and I didn't want to make 25 egg tarts anyways. I used tin foil to make some "molds" for the tarts. Then I divided all the ingredients by 5 and rather than sugar I decided to use some condensed milk.

I probably should have stuck to the original recipe... At the 20 minute mark the puff pastry didn't look quite ready but I decided to try one anyways. The filling was perfect... well at least the texture was good and it tasted alright. But the puff pastry was as I feared... still slightly gooey.

So back into the oven it went, until the pastry fully puffed out. As a result, the pastry was perfect but the egg filling was completely overcooked. It started to caramelize and became plastic-like. The sweetness became much more apparent and I'll remember to use 1 tbsp of condensed milk rather than 2. Another problem was that the puff pastry really stuck to the tin foil, making it really difficult to remove.

The Verdict:
I would not make this again... at least not without some tweaks... and not before purchasing the appropriate egg tart molds.

On the other hand, I used the rest of the puff pastry to bake some snacks with aged cheddar. It was an amazing combo ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment