Saturday, February 6, 2010

02/04/2010 - Thai Green Curry Cookies

During my trip to Seattle, I picked up some cookie cutters and I've been wanting to use them ever since. But cut-out cookie recipes, other than regular sugar cookies that are meant to be decorated, are hard to find. Until I stumbled onto this recipe online. http://belachan2.blogspot.com/2010/01/green-curry-paste-cookies.html

I pretty much followed the recipe, except I didn't have coconut cream so I mixed some coconut milk with a bit of condensed milk. If you also decide to do this, just remember to refrigerate the dough for longer (~1 hour). I also learnt a tip on some other website - roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper BEFORE refrigerating the dough, it'll make it much easier to handle and cut. I've never done it the other way, but I took their advice and it seemed relatively easy.

Oh... and I never kneaded it by hand, because mine was much more pliable due to the extra liquid from the coconut milk, I found the spatula was enough to mix it properly. I think my dough was much thinner than the original, but this worked out to my benefit. I had a few thicker ones but the thin ones gave a nice cracker feel and the texture was perfect.

I've used Thai green curry before, but never in a cookie. I remember my first experience with this paste, I almost killed my taste buds. This particular curry doesn't have a lot of curry flavor per say, but it has a latent spice that takes you by surprise. So use with caution.

The proportions here are perfect. The flavor is not overpowering, but it definitely has a nice kick to it.

The Verdict:

I would make these cookies again and they are perfect for those who like spicy foods. The flavor reminds me of wasabi beans ^-^

I brought these to work and it was amusing to watch people's reaction when they hear "curry" and "cookie" used in the same sentence. Those that tried it liked/loved it and those that didn't, didn't because they were appalled by the idea. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment